Hi KP

KP Kirchdoerfer wrote:

> I had the same pb when I booted my router, starting openntpd later by hand
> was
> successful and it ran a until next reboot. Reason is that network access is
> too late for openntpd due to a late shorewall start.
> Starting shorewall ASAP (S,21) fixes the pb.

Delays in network startup has been a problem for most, if not all,
versions of LEAF. I believe network availability is a non deterministic
factor in the startup procedures of most  network software. I found this
in LEAF routers built with PCMCIA cards, dead peer detection scripts for
ipsec, e.t.c. I believe some of the init routines are not as network
friendly as they might, or should, be. Some should indeed wait for
network connectivity to be up before attempting to use the network.
Shorewall is an example of this behaviour. Most of the time it works
fine, but sometimes, especially with pppoe or radio connections, it is
started before all network connections are fully operational. This
should be either adressed generically in the init sequence or each such
init script should check for network connectivity to be complete before
attempting to use those ressources.

One possible solution could be to check in the ifup/ifdown routines for
the various network interfaces or somehow to check at the exit of
networking init.

I added such checks to most of my installations. It appears to be a
phenomenon which appears pretty inconsistently on a wide range of hard
and software. I found problems of this sort are pretty difficult to
diagnose as often the diagnostic code introduces sufficient delay for
the problem to go away.

It would be nice if we could find a generic solution to this phenomenon.

cheers
Erich