Hi Paul, Scott,

> Actually, if I remember correctly, the tcp wrapper library can check
> a directory in etc as well, so a package like p9100 could create an
> /etc/hosts.allow.d/p9100 file (don't recall the exact
> path).

AFAIK this is not possible (at least I couldn't find any traces of it in
the source or the man pages).

> Frankly, though, tcpwrappers is really obsolete and redundant.  I
> realize that some folks wouldn't use ipfilter, but almost everyone else
> does.  Why have tcpwrappers and ipfilter.  Make the default to allow.

Not enterily, (quote:) tcpwrappers intercepts the connection attempt, then
examines its configurations files, and decides whether to accept or reject
the request. Tcpwrappers controls access at the application level, rather
than the socket level like iptables.

I do like Scott's suggestion as an intermediate solution for this.

Eric