I've been running OpenVPN on our Bering 2.4.2 firewall for some time now.
However, I have never been able to resolve FQDNs running as clients so I've
been using HOSTS files in place. I would like to see if I could get around
this limitation as this requires maintenance of these HOSTS files from time
to time. Our network uses a three interface model- loc, dmz, & net. The name
of the firewall is 'firewall'.

We support Windows and OS X clients. The Windows OpenVPN client

Here's the openvpn.conf in condensed format:

server 10.8.0.0 255.255.255.0

ifconfig-pool-persist /var/state/openvpn-ipp.txt

push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"

route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 firewall

push "dhcp-option DNS 10.8.0.1"

push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.254"

push "dhcp-option WINS 192.168.1.1"

push "dhcp-option DOMAIN dawnsign.com"

I have dnsmasq running on 192.168.1.254 & 192.168.2.254.

I've confirmed that the Shorewall is configured as follows:

- Add a new zone to /etc/shorewall/zones:

  vpn VPN Remote Subnet

- Add the tun interface to /etc/shorewall/interfaces:

  vpn tun+

- You can either open the traffic between the vpn zone and the local net
completely with adding

  loc vpn ACCEPT
  vpn loc ACCEPT

  to /etc/shorewall/policy - or just add the ports you want to open in
/etc/shorewall/rules.

- As last step add your vpn to the shorewall tunnel defintions
(/etc/shorewall/tunnels)

  openvpn          net 0.0.0.0/0
  openvpn:udp:1195 net 0.0.0.0/0

What do I need to do in order to get names resolved on all openVPN clients?
The following are possibilities but I would like to gather feedback from you
guys first.

1) Do I need to enable any of the following in openvpn.conf?
  ;push "redirect-gateway def1"   or

  ;push "redirect-gateway"

2) do I need to modify the /etc/shorewall/rules to allow port 53 connections
between VPN and fw?

I'd appreciate any advice you may have for us.

~Doug