C.Dummy wrote:
> Erich Titl wrote:

>> So your entire _internal_ network becomes inaccessible?
>> If so, can you check if this is due to excessive traffic or some
>> ethernet problem?
> How can I check this?
The usual problem with top-posting - what exactly is the "this" you're
referring to? Whether the entire internal net becomes inaccessible or if
it's due to excessive traffic or ethernet problems?

Since the second is basically a follow up on the first, I'll go with the
first. Look at your switches - if one of the "network activity" lights
on the switches is constantly lit, there's an indication of a problem
(it doesn't have to be a problem - it could simply be that there's a lot
of traffic going over that link - but if the connection to the net is
down at that point, it would justify some looking into). If you use the
wrong cabling between your switch and the workstation, for example, that
would result in the activity light being constantly lit. It would also
result in network traffic being cut off altogether (unless you have a
cable auto-sensing switch), but since we don't know what kind of
switches you use, it could be a "very slow auto-sensing switch" for all
we know (since things seem to work again after 30+ seconds).

To find out if the entire network is down, use the basic tools available
on your os. Can you ping the other workstations currently turned on? Can
you ping the leaf box (if your firewall rules allow pinging - if they
don't, not being able to ping the firewall doesn't tell us anything)?
Can you ssh to the router (during the time the network is down, and/or
when the network is back up again)? If you can ssh to the router, what
does "cat /proc/net/dev" say? (especially the "errs" and "colls" colums
are interesting for troubleshooting). If you can't ssh to the router
(and that isn't the result of you closing off ssh access altogether)
what does /var/log/shorewall.log and "cat /proc/net/dev" say when you
look at it after logging in on the console of the router (provided your
router has a console - you didn't say what kind of computer you're using).

It's really hard to figure out what's going on, mainly since you didn't
give us much to work with. Is the dsl modem connected to the same switch
that the rest of the network is connected to or is that connected
directly (via one cable, no hubs, switches, or anything like that) to
your leaf box? I'm asking since that kind of setup _can_ cause problems,
and I've seen it being used plenty of times.
Are your switches "auto-sensing" (regarding cables) and if not, what
kind of cables do you use to connect the computers to the switches
(straight or cross-over)? How do you connect the two switches with
eachother (again, if they're auto-sensing regarding the cables, it
doesn't really matter, but if not, are you using an X-over or straight
cable, and which port (uplink port or regular port) does the cable go in
_each_ of the switches?
There are plenty of variables, and in order for anybody to give you a
meaningful advice, a little more info would be needed. But I _can_ tell
you that it's not normal that the pppoe connection would drop simply
because one turned on a computer connected to the internal net (if that
were the case, my internet connection at the office would hardly ever be
up). So there _is_ a problem with your setup - the challenge is finding
out what that is. But we'll need your help with that.

Martin