I have several people I need to set up firewalls for; so far I've been using
old PCs, but I'd like to find something more compact and more professional
looking.

I've searched several embedded PC vendors and have seen various platforms,
but wasn't sure if Bering-uclibc would work on them. Also, many of the
appliances were too expensive. I'd like to find something in the ~ $100
range. If Linksys can sell firewalls, routers, wireless routers, etc. for
$100-$150, it would seem reasonable that some embedded PC manufacturer could
have similar price for a "blank" (no OS loaded) platform. Instead, I usually
see prices around $300-$600 for a one time order (bulk pricing is lower, but
not much).

My questions are this:

1) Is there other options besides WRAP or Soekris to create a firewall
appliance using Bering-uclibc (I've recently seen the summary info on the
OpenWRT project too)?
2) What are the prices (approximate) for these alternatives?
3) How do I evaluate whether BUC will work on a specific platform? Is there
a reference document that explains what BUC requires for hardware (I'm
mainly referring to the CPU, motherboard, and other possible embedded chips,
etc.)

Thanks,
Brad Klinghagen         [EMAIL PROTECTED]