HI Math;

Am Montag, 16. April 2007 16:57:24 schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> Hi everybody
>
> I try to find how to save the log files on the Bering uClibc 3.0.2.
>
> When choose the option "s) Save configuration" that don't save the log
> files and when i reboot the firewall all the files are reset. It's
> important to me to backup the shorewall log for exemple. In the old version
> i remenber that i can save the log files but i don't find in the news
> version !

It isn't possible to save the logfiles together with the configuration in the
versions 3.x  and it shouldn't be added IMHO.
Due to the fundamental changes in the backup framework, it will slow down the
reboot and it may even not work as you expect, or will have side effects
which can annoy others (overwriting the boot messages).

But you can add a similar functionality, as you've used in earlier versions,
easily yourself - let a cronjob do a "tar cvf /mnt/log.tar /var/log/*" (maybe
you have to mount the device before and umount after).
But then every log message not saved to your device before a reboot, by
accident, by an attacker or whatelse, is lost.

A more secure approach is to do remote logging. syslogd is capable of doing
that, and shorewall can log to syslog - it does need some playing (I'm not
going to write a how-to here and yet :)) - but you may start with:
man syslogd
and
http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_logging.html
(note LEAF Bering-uClibc uses ULOG)