Thanks Martin,

I found the problem and the cause.  I was backing up a working system so
that I would be able to recover it as quickly as possible in case of a
failure of the CF or IDE adapter.  The way I was doing this was to mount
the working boot disk and copy all files except ldlinux.sys over the
network to a windows system.  I then burned them to a CD with Nero and
copied the files from the CD to the second CF in another machine that
had a CD rom installed.
After I had copied the files to the new CF I booted it and found that
the system wasn't loading properly.
The reason that I found was that every line in the leaf.cfg file had a
period appended to it which caused several problems when rebooting the
system.  Once the periods were removed the system booted normally again.

This may have been caused by the windows system or the transfer to the
CD I don't know yet.  I need to experiment with the system to find out
where in the process the periods appeared.

Thanks

Ken