Michelle,

To run ASSP (which is a Perl based SMTP proxy that includes a bayesian
filter) you need to have three ports available: one for proxying
outgoing email, one for proxying incoming email and one for the actual
mailserver. Depending on email client and email server software you may
be forced to use separate machines for the ASSP proxy and the mailserver
(in theory you could fondle around with iptables, but this can get
really messy).

In my current setup I have ASSP and postfix running on the same box with
postfix configured to use an alternate port:
  - postfix running at port 2525
  - ASSP listening for outgoing email on port 25
     (this is to maintain a whitelist and for client compatibility)
  - ASSP listening for incoming email on port 125
     (LEAF box NATs port 25 on the outside to mailserver:125)

I suppose it shouldn't be a problem to run ASSP on a LEAF box but you
may loose the option to use some additional features. You would also
need to add some permanent RW storage to the LEAF box if you don't want
to have the bayesian filter forget what it has learned. My LEAF box is
strictly read-only, so I never considered moving ASSP onto it. I might
have if I'd needed a second box though ;)

Gordon