Hello Eric and Mats,

Thank for your help!  I enjoyed your discussion.

I have a home network with four work stations.  Each work station has a
static IP.  I use ppp/pppoe to connect to the ISP.  Over the years, I have
developed a habit of entering the upstream DNS information on each work
station while setting up the network connection and not entering the
upstream DNS information in /etc/resolv.conf (this is how I got Dachstein to
work in 2002).

To get openntpd to work in 3.1-rc1, I chose was to edit /etc/resolv.conf and
add the upstream DNS servers.  Openntpd now works.  I have also changed the
settings on the work stations to get the upstream DNS servers from
192.168.1.254

I have one suggestion concerning Chapter 4. Configure a timeserver on LEAF
Bering-uClibc (http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/bucu-ntp.html).

As it is currently written:

If you want to serve the exact time you get from pool.ntp.org (or whatever
time service you haven chosen) to your local network, you have to add the ip
address of the local interface in the with the keyword "listen".

# Addresses to listen on (ntpd does not listen by default)
#listen on *
#listen on 127.0.0.1
#listen on ::1
listen 192.168.1.254