There seems to be a bug in the tinydns leaf package for Bearing-uClibc
3.x.  It doesn't save changes to the data.cdb file.  I realize that the
package is designed to save changes to the raw data file only, not the
compiled version of it, but that doesn't work well for configurations
where the data file is managed in one place and the updates sent to the
routers from remote.

Let me explain. In my configuration, I keep the dns data file on the
server and manage it there.  This allows me to make changes in one place
and push them out to both the dns servers.  I have a script that
automates this for me.  Now, I could push out the raw data file and let
the router compile it when tinydns starts as the current package is
designed to do, but that causes the SOA serial numbers to be different
on each of the routers.  This makes it look like one dns server is out
of sink with the other which is reported as an error by dnsstuff.com.

To correct the problem, I change /var/lib/lrpkg/tinydns.local as follows:

etc/tinydns-private/env/DNSTYPE
etc/tinydns-private/env/IP
etc/tinydns-private/root/data*
etc/tinydns-public/env/IP
etc/tinydns-public/root/data*
etc/tinydns-private/env/DOMAINS
etc/tinydns-private/env/QUERYLOG
etc/tinydns-private/log/run
etc/tinydns-public/env/QUERYLOG
etc/tinydns-public/log/run

This causes both data and data.cdb to be backed up.  This is backwards
compatible with the existing configuration and doesn't add much data to
the backups for those concerned about disk space.  My compiled data file
is only 5K and it compresses to less then 1K.  The end result is less
then a 2K increase to the size of the backups, assuming tinydns-private
is in use also.  The tinydns compiler detects the empty data file as an
error and leaves the saved data.cdb file in place.  Those familiar with
the old behaviour can still modify the raw data file on the router, and
their changes, assuming no errors, will overwrite the data.cbd file when
tinydns starts.

I discovered this problem a number of years back but made the changes
locally only.  After an upgrade to the routers, I find myself bitten by
the same bug again.  I'd like to see this change put into future
releases so I don't get bitten again.  It's a minor change that
shouldn't effect existing configurations and adds less then 2k to the
size of the backups.  Can this please be done?

Thanks.

...Izzy