Am Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 17:48:29 schrieb n22e113:
> >> While testing leaf v3.1.1-beta3, I am stuck at the page using firefox:
> >> http://192.168.1.210/wc-passwd.cgi
> >> Except for the "General Health" and "Active Connections" pages. Leaving
> >> both Username and Password blank and hitting the |Apply| button will
> >> only get me back to the same page? If Username=admin and Password=blank
> >> and hitting the |Apply| button, the web page will transfer data forever?
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > It's not obvious and the information on the page is wrong: Please add a
> > password!
> > It's pretty unsecure to use webconf without password andf therefor not
> > allowed.
>
> But from the page "Webconf authentication":
> "To completely disable authentication, leave the fields for username as
> well as password blank."

As I wrote - "the information on the page is wrong". Will be corrected for a
future release.

> The above is correct because Linux and open source
> are all about choices. Users in our case are only allowed to access webconf
> from inside our private LAN. Admins/Users shall all have the ability to
> decide what level of security of Webconf access for a particular
> installation. The information on the page also correctly states: "While it
> provides some protection, please note that the passwords are sent over the
> network in clear text."

IMHO the target audience for webconf is the home user who does not take care
about security and more than a default setup. Therefor forcing them to choose
a login password is following the line "better safe than sorry".
Admins usually use the shell based configuration, which is a lot mor flexible
and secure.

kp