On 2/9/2010 2:20 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Bodo Meissner wrote:
>> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>>>>
>>> It is simply that gkrellmd (the server variant)
>>> collects the data from sensors.lrp (I have that running) and it can be
>>> read by my workstation.
>>
>> That means you would only need the daemon part on the leaf box, not the GUI.
>> Even this seems to be a bit difficult, because gkrellmd uses glib and maybe
>> also GTK library.
>>

>> Bodo
>
> Bodo,
> Thanks for your reply.
>  From that I realize that it maybe needs to transfer the glib library to
>    the uclib environment. I don't have any idea how difficult that is.
> However it may be worthwhile as firewalls shrink (physically!) and are
> stored at less accessible places (cupboards, etc.) and mostly controlled
> remotely (at least mine is). It would be nice if you could control the
> health of that system remotely.

While gkrellm does have a server and client component, it seems mainly
geared towards desktop type systems with both the client and server
running on the same machine.

For remote monitoring of something like a LEAF firewall, I would suggest
SNMP (on the firewall), with the monitoring application of your choice
running elsewhere to gather statistics.  Typical options would be things
like MRTG, Cacti, OpenNMS in the open source world:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
http://www.cacti.net/
http://www.opennms.org/

...although there are *MANY* other free and proprietary options
available as well.

In addition to monitoring your firewall, an SNMP based monitoring
solution can also gather data from your switches and various other
network infrastructure components if they have SNMP support (which is
becoming more and more common, even on lower-end hardware).

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net