On Thursday 03 February 2011 21:40:57 davidMbrooke wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 18:55 +1100, Mark Berndt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with dnsmasq.  It is appending private.network to
> > all my local addresses.
> >
> > I've got local commented out
> > #local=/private.network/
> >
> > and I've tried this
> > local=
> >
> > and also
> >
> > local=/blah.blah/
> >
> > A snippet of the dnsmasq dump with signal USR1 when local is set to
> > blah.blah shows
> >
> > dnsmasq: started, version 2.55 cachesize 150
> > dnsmasq: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-I18N DHCP
> > no-TFTP dnsmasq-dhcp: DHCP, IP range 192.168.243.1 -- 192.168.243.49,
> > lease time 12h dnsmasq: using local addresses only for domain blah.blah
> > dnsmasq: reading /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
> > dnsmasq: using nameserver 220.233.0.4#53
> > dnsmasq: using nameserver 220.233.0.3#53
> > dnsmasq: using local addresses only for domain blah.blah
> > dnsmasq: read /etc/hosts - 15 addresses
> > dnsmasq: time 1296719467
> > dnsmasq: cache size 150, 0/35 cache insertions re-used unexpired cache
> > entries.
> > dnsmasq: queries forwarded 22, queries answered locally 1
> > dnsmasq: server 220.233.0.3#53: queries sent 22, retried or failed 0
> > dnsmasq: server 220.233.0.4#53: queries sent 2, retried or failed 0
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > dnsmasq: slug1                                    192.168.243.253
> > 4F I   H
> > dnsmasq: slug1.private.network                    192.168.243.253
> > 4F I   H
> > dnsmasq: slug1.mechtron.com.au                    192.168.243.253
> > 4F I   H
> >

> > which shows the local= is still set to private.network
> >
> > The beta 1 version is the same size and version as the beta2, I have not
> > tried using the beta 1 package.
> >
> > Any ideas, this is really messing up my network!
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Marko
>
> Hi Marko,
>
> "local=private.network" just means that it doesn't forward a DNS request
> for e.g. xyz.private.network to the upstream DNS resolver.
>
> You probably want to change the setting for "domain=private.network"
> later in the file.
>
> dMb
>
>Hi David,

I've already got domain=mechtron.com.au and append-suffix, this is what is
driving me crazy - it just appends the private.network to whatever.

I'm running split dns - we have internet *.mechtron.com.au and local
*mechtron.com.au, has worked ok previously.

Can you give me an md5sum for the dnsmasq.lrp package to check it is ok?

I run two dnsmasq servers on the network, one stock debian stable and the
other leaf4 beta2 on the firewall, the leaf version behaves differently from
the stock debian, an earlier version.  The dnsmaq from leaf 3 worked ok.

Marko