I had the same problem while using a serial to usb adapter with
prolific chipset. Only "19200 8N1 HW off" worked for me both at
minicom and Windows Hyperterminal.
The booting process should work anyway. Even when the console shows
only rubbish the system should finish the booting process. You can
verify this by sniffing the network traffic of vr0 (eth0). You'll see
DHCPDISCOVER requests from the ALIX Board.
If you can't see the DHCPDISCOVER requests you have an issue with your image.

Juergen

2011/2/8 KP Kirchdoerfer <kap...@users.sourceforge.net>:
> Am Dienstag, 8. Februar 2011, um 00:17:45 schrieb n22e113:
>> > Pls try to change SERIAL, console, Alix Bios setup and minicom to use
>> > 19200 instead  115200.
>> > kp
>>
>> The default is 38400 8N1 flow control = none or xon-xoff
>
> Maybe that's the way, it should be.
>
> Looking at the source the build of the images based on, etc/inittab shows
>
> # Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
> #
> ttyS0::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 19200 vt100
> ttyS1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 19200 vt100
>
> The original mail said that booting stopped just before showing the login
> prompt- and I guessed wrong serial line speed could be the reason.
>
> kp

mit freundlichem Gruss
Jürgen Northe

--