On 24 Aug 2011, at 06:35, n22e113 wrote:

>> Since moving to 4.x shorewall  is dumping all it's output to dmesg as well
>> as the log files configured via syslog-ng.
>> How do I stop shorewall from outputting to dmesg?
>>
> Hi, That shouldn't happen? I have one site running 4.1-beta1 and
> shorewall works/logs as expected. Only thing I can suggest is to check
> your shorewall-init.log and shorewall.log.
> Cheers! K

It maybe *shouldn't* happen, but I see the same as Adam (on 4.0).

Tom Eastep would clarify that this isn't really Shorewall doing this - it's the
Linux kernel. See http://www.shorewall.net/FAQ.htm#faq16

The "dmesg" command (part of BusyBox) is printing the Kernel Ring Buffer. Note
that the contents of file /var/log/dmesg are different from the output of
/bin/dmesg

I'm not sure there is any way to control what gets written *into* the Kernel
Ring Buffer. All of the logging configuration seems to control what gets
extracted into the /var/log/* files.

dMb