Thanks to n22e113 for also responding.

KP wrote:

> I have an DSL connection with pppoe and currently set the DSL pppoe
> pass through - that way the IP address of the DSL modem can be
> negletced.

In my case in Houston I am an early adopter of DSL and have DHCP
grandfathered. I already knew to put the modem into bridge mode. I
have purchased a new Motorola 3360, which has a configuration screen
at 192.168.154. It was an easy matter to connect my computer directly
to the modem, and access the setup screen at 192.168.1.254, and
change to bridged mode. When I then hook my computer back to the
switch/Leaf box, and reconnect the modem to the Leaf Soekris box,
everything works perfectly - except, of course, I can't any longer
access the modem via 192.168.1.254.

My previous Westell 2200 modem has a setup screen at 192.168.1.1. I
was able to access it by adding one line in the interfaces file:

# Step 1: configure external interface
#         uncomment/adjust one of the following 4 options
# Option 1.1 (default): eth0 / dynamic IP from dhcpcd
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
up ip route add 192.168.1.1 dev eth0    <<<<

I had to also make a two-line shorewall/masq change:

+eth0::192.168.1.1       0.0.0.0/0       192.168.1.254
eth0                  192.168.1.0/24

(This is the shorewall instance of 192.168.1.254 I had that Kp
didn't.)

Of course I cannot just edit the "up ip" line to read:

up ip route add 192.168.1.254 dev eth0

since that modem IP conflicts with Leaf router IP so this doesn't
work. I can't access the modem config screen from my computer bwhen
using the Leaf router. I am pretty sure I could solve the problem by
changing all instances of 192.168.1.254 to something else, e.g.
192.168.1.253.

This may all be pretty silly, because the new Motorola 3360 has a
much less full featured setup screen than the old Westell 2200, plus
it takes all of 15 seconds to unhook and rehook two wires to access
the configuration.

In any case, from your answer, I take it there aren't any
complications. Yes, I have a 192.168.1.254 in my hosts file. The
shorewall line was:

shorewall/masq:+eth0::192.168.1.1       0.0.0.0/0       192.168.1.254

which was a firewall rule added to allow access to the old modem via
192.168.1.1.

This pretty much exhausts the subject. Now I need to decide what to
do!

(later) I changed 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.253 in
network/interfaces, shorewall/masq, and hosts, and changed two
instances of 192.168.1.1 in interfaces and masq to 192.168.1.254, and
voila! I can access the modem via 192.168.1.254! Webconf still works,
only it is at 192.168.1.253:8080! All is well!

I found the information about accessing the modem config screen via
eth0 in various now-forgotten sources, probably mainly the shorewall
docs. I should probably write this up and add it to the wiki, since I
would think others might enjoy making their modem more easily
accessible from their local network.

Thanks again!

Tim