Hi Victor,

Based on a quick look at /etc/init.d/shorewall I reckon that the "restart"
block might be broken - seems that it does "start" without "stop".

Most people use the "shorewall" command directly to do a restart.
In other words just:
    shorewall restart
not:
    svi shorewall restart

(There are other options too - e.g. perhaps:
    shorewall reload
will do what you need)

As regards logging, the shorewall log messages actually come from Netfilter.
They are directed to /var/log/shorewall.log via the syslog-ng configuration
(as per Shorewall FAQ 16b).

Reviewing the contents of /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf might give you a hint
about what is going wrong. File /etc/lrp.conf controls log file rotation.

davidMbrooke