Jürgen wrote:
> syslinux.cfg is not enough. To put a getty on a serial line, you need inittab
> too.
Of course you are right.  I have the appropriate lines in inittab. Probably I
picked them up by re-using a configdb.lrp from a serial version of Leaf. I
appreciate the tip about re-using a configdb.lrp from a serial Geode version, I
may try that if I get nervous about re-using old configdb.lrp.
Erich wrote:
> - have you verified you are loading _both_ initram files?
How can I verify this?
> - if so, have you verified that the running system stub is capable to
> read from your storage? I found problems with fast CF in the past.
I am using a SanDisk Cruzer Fit. Works with Bering 5.0.4 but not 5.1.
Here is the tail end of the boot messages with 5.1 (doesn't work)
>>START
LINUXRC: Looking for leaf.cfg...
LINUXRC: Generating default dirs...
LINUXRC: Creating /tmp & /var/log partitions ...
LINUXRC: PKGPATH is empty or unset. Can not install packages.
LINUXRC: LRP= is empty or unset.  Can not install packages.
Running stage2 depmod after loading: moddb
Running stage2 module loading
LINUXRC: chown and chmod /dev...
LINUXRC: Loaded Packages
LINUXRC: Creating new rootfs...
LINUXRC: Switch_root into new rootfs...
can't run '/etc/init.d/rcS': No such file or directory
Please press Enter to activate this console.
>>END
Here is the same portion of the boot  messages from 5.0.4 that works:
>>START
LINUXRC: Looking for leaf.cfg...
LINUXRC: Mounting /dev/sda1 on /var/lib/lrpkg/mnt as vfat
LINUXRC: Sourcing leaf.cfg from /dev/sda1
LINUXRC: Generating default dirs...
LINUXRC: Creating /tmp & /var/log partitions ...
LINUXRC: Setting up ZRAM swap ...
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 58716160 bytes
//END
So you see it does look like the USB drive doesn't get mounted.

Thanks again.