I run several LEAF WRAP and ALIX firewalls, but compact flashes often do
not boot after they have been prepared with syslinux.

I recently took some CF that failed to boot and found a way to make them
work. I used a 686 isolinux version of LEAF to  boot on an old laptop
and plugged the CF's into a usb to CF adapter.

In my case the boot media was /dev/sr0 and the CFs were at /dev/sdb1

#mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /mnt
#apkg -i /mnt/hdsupp

    this should also load mtools.lrp

#apkg -i /mnt/libiconv

#umount /mnt

***
#fdisk -c /dev/sdb

p to view the partitions

d to delete all the partitions on the CF

n to add a new primary partition 1

a to make it bootable

t to change the partition type

c to make it fat 32

I chose the default first block (2048)
I found that if I chose the last block that fdisk suggested, it would
not boot with syslinux. So I did not accept the last block. For example,
a 512 MB CF, I entered +500M for the last block; or a 128MB CF I typed
in +100M so that the partition was slightly smaller than the block size
suggested by fdisk and this made the CF bootable.

w to write the partition to the CF.

***
#mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb

#syslinux /dev/sdb

#mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt

#ls -al /mnt
and you should see the syslinux boot file on the CF.

the key to this procedure was to not make the partition fill the whole
CF. I imagine that CF's lie about their structure. They are not like a
hard drive.

I used 7-zip to copy the LEAF system to the compact flash from a windows
box, and it booted just fine using the append line in the latest LEAF
versions, e.g. usb_wait=3 etc.

Victor