I am successfully using 6.0.2-rc1 on both Soekris net 4801 and 6501 boxen.
The 486 version on the 4801 seems very sensitive to non-Unix EOF in
leaf.cfg.  Needs to be LF not Windows style CR LF. I have had boot problems
until I converted to LF. This may not be your problem but it's worth a try
to fix. For good measure I suggest cleaning up syslinux.cfg also, although
supposedly this file works with either kind of EOL so probably OK.

Tim