In message: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
            "Clive D.W. Feather" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: Tony Finch said:
: > As well as the
: > egregious example of the pre-Julian Roman calendar, I'm amused and
: > disgusted by the anti-Jewish fiddles in the rules for determining Easter
: > to minimise when it coincides with Passover.
:
: Actually it was a pro-Jewish fiddle: by keeping the two dates apart it
: minimized the risk of religious riots and/or pogroms.

I was told in school a long time ago this was the same reason that
Christmas happened do late: It too was designed to not conflict with
Hanukkah and also the pagan solstice celebrations.  I have no source
for this information, so take it with a lot more skepticism than most
things you see here :-)

Warner