Quoting Poul-Henning Kamp <p...@phk.freebsd.dk>:

> In message <625029c6e1f142b688cebedecdfad...@grendel>, "Gerard Ashton" writes:
>
> >Similarly, within ISO 8601, "Z" designates "UTC" and any meaning it may
> >have had for most of the 20th century outside that standard is irrelevant.
>
> The meaning 'Z' had before ISO8601, and which ISO8601 codified, was "UTC".
>
> If you look at the Canadian time-station CHU's QSL card:
>
>       http://flickr.com/photos/bneely/223853969/
>
> You will notice that the timezones have letters on the illustration
> on the wall.  It is not clear to me if the zero meridian have 'N' or
> 'Z' as designator.

Neither. It is "M." I have a scan of a B&W photo of the painting if anyone is
interested.
-- Richard Langley

> The painting is supposed to despict a meeting in 1879 where Sandford
> Flemming first laid out his idea for timezones.
>
> Poul-Henning
>
> --
> p...@freebsd.org         | TCP/IP since RFC 956

 Richard B. Langley                            E-mail: l...@unb.ca
 Geodetic Research Laboratory                  Web: http://www.unb.ca/GGE/
 Dept. of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering    Phone:    +1 506 453-5142
 University of New Brunswick                   Fax:      +1 506 453-4943
 Fredericton, N.B., Canada  E3B 5A3
     Fredericton?  Where's that?  See: http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca/