Richard B. Langley wrote:

Quoting Rob Seaman <sea...@noao.edu>:

It's impressive that civil GPS discussions reach back through so many meetings. Any idea when the 1st CGSIC meeting was held?

Probably 1986:

Cool.  Thanks!

Proceedings of the 1991 National Technical Meeting of the Institute of Navigation
January 22 - 24, 1991 Sheraton San Marcos Hotel Phoenix, AZ

Argh! Another meeting I could have attended easily if I only knew it existed.

GPS as a project dates back to the mid-70's, right?

Started in 1973.

With completion in the early 90's?

How do you define "completion"? Reaching FOC (full operational capability)? Then, July 17, 1995.

Even a bit longer than I thought. So it took GPS 22 years and they're still talking about it 14 years after that. We've only been talking since 1999. We have 26 years to go!

Rob