On Oct 22, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Rob Seaman writes:
>
>> It will, for instance, cost astronomers many millions of dollars simply to
>> restore current functionality to thousands of interoperating systems.  I
>> guess that is not technical enough.
>
> A) Doesn't sound technical to me (Economy possibly ?)
>
> B) "Many millions of dollars" ?  (Handwaving ?)

Of course it is an off-the-cuff estimate.  It is hard to get management
attention on such issues years in advance.  We did get one estimate on the
record from a system engineer at a midsize telescope of $3M to update software
systems for such a change.  Sounds about right to me, but imagine this estimate
is high by a factor of 10.  That still amounts to $300,000 for one telescope
out of dozens of similar aperture and out of hundreds of large professional
astronomical facilities of all types and thousands of smaller systems...and
then there are all the amateur telescopes, planetaria, data centers, space
missions...

"Many millions of dollars" is certainly not hyperbole.  Several of us worked on
the Y2K remediation for astronomical software systems - a significant effort in
our community.  This will dwarf Y2K for astronomy.

The hierarchy of working parties and committees of the ITU-R have failed
miserably at due diligence.  That it is difficult to get people's attention on
an obscure issue is no excuse for forsaking the responsibility.

Rob