It appears that Roscosmos, the Russian Space Agency, had difficulties in monitoring the GLONASS satellites in the couple of hours preceding the leap second according to this chart that appeared on one of its websites:

<<inline: getImageFromDB.gif>>

The time scale is in Moscow Time, which is UTC + 4 hours. Roscosmos uses a global network of monitoring sites (including one at UNB) to check the status of the satellites. It is not clear if the monitoring problem was due to Internet communications problems or the satellites themselves. My guess is Internet communications problems and I guess we can't rule out possible NTP problems.

-- Richard