On 11 July 2012 02:42, Michael Spacefalcon <msoko...@ivan.harhan.org> wrote:

> Of course.  However, this issue would only exist if the external time
> input is an ASCII string or struct in HH:MM:SS format, and I have yet
> to see a system that uses such formats for time interchange.  All
> systems that I'm familiar with use time-as-a-real-number formats
> instead: JD, MJD, time_t, NTP, etc.
>
> SF

We use a twenty-year-old system that does just that - outputs an ASCII
string once a second at 300 baud on a good old-fashioned serial line.
Admittedly this was not designed for computer use, but for hardware
that will then drive either physical clocks, or produce SMPTE/EBU time
code (as used by radio and television broadcasting).

Peter  (BBC, London)