I have changed the subject line since "battle" seems overly dramatic to me.
The goal should simply be to clearly demarcate various concepts and standards.
For my part I don't regard this as a political fight and if there is a turf war
it is more likely between TAI and GPS, with UTC as collateral damage.

To answer the question, a new IAU UTC working group has been formed.  There was
also controversy at the time.

Rob