On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:58 PM, Brooks Harris <bro...@edlmax.com> wrote:

> Well, its clear the "end game" would take a long time to realize. It will
> take serious patience on the part of folks who care.

We’re halfway there, then ;-)  This conversation has been going on for a very
long time.  Click through to the archives for the current list and for the
original leapsecs list from:

        http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/futureofutc/links.html

The place to start before making a foray into the mailing list, however, is
with Steve Allen’s excellent pages:

        http://ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/

> My point is that the standards, where they exist, are dispersed and fractured.

Indeed.  They are also contingent on physical context from the real world.  It
is simple fact that a single time scale is insufficient to model the complexity
of the systems required.

> So, an effort to simply consolidate the terms, definitions, and standards
> into a single reference document would go a long way toward lending clarity
> to system implementers, other industries, and, importantly, to governments
> seeking to refine their laws to coordinate time and commerce with other
> jurisdictions.

Maybe a reference library is a reasonable place to start rather than a single
document.  I’m biased, but not therefore wrong, in recommending the proceedings
of the 2011 and 2013 UTC meetings:

Decoupling Civil Timekeeping from Earth Rotation:

        http://futureofutc.org/2011/preprints/

Requirements for UTC and Civil Timekeeping on Earth:

        http://futureofutc.org/preprints/

The published proceedings are available from the American Astronautical Society:

        http://www.univelt.com/Science.html

As well as this week’s well attended American Astronomical Society splinter
meeting:

        http://futureofutc.org/aas223/

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory