On 10/01/14 20:08, Harlan Stenn wrote:
Warner Losh writes:

A TAI realization of time_t isn't POSIX, which specifically proscribes
UTC.

I think you mean "prescribes".

Regardless, today the POSIX standard has a mapping (or used to, last time I checked I was unable to find that mapping, they seem to have lost the reference to the motivation chapter) from UTC to time_t. Warner should remember that I do know this, so what I wrote was just "this is the way I would hack it".

If you want the time_t to be simplified you either do that mapping from TAI or UTC, and doing it from TAI has the benefit of providing a continuous time over leap-second insertions.

What I proposed as an concept idea have a number of different concerns in them:

* Most POSIX usages still don't require *real* UTC, but want a simple "linear" scale which kinda looks like normal time.

* Breaking the normal interface for apps which doesn't really care fills no purpose.

* That applications that care about proper UTC or proper local-time needs fixing require an additional interface might be feasible to get accepted rather than pulling the rug from underneath everything.

* TAI and UTC has a well understood relationship such that you can convert between them given complete time-stamp and know which time-scale they are in.

* Using TAI from mapping into time_t provides a non-ambigous bidirectional mapping. The issue occurs when mixing TAI and UTC based time_t in a dataset.

* For most usage, UTC or local time is a presentation issue.

This is orthogonal to the proposal of having 10 years irrevocable notice of leapseconds, which addresses another problem in the mix. I think it is a good idea.

Cheers,
Magnus