> The problem is that all applications should care about leap seconds.
> It is a part of the time standard (UTC) that is papered over in POSIX time_t.
> This is a false partitioning, and what causes the probelms.

Warner,

"All" applications should care? It's that going a bit too far? What, are you
going to ban every analog clock? Fahrenheit 86400?

UTC is simple and clearly defined and we all know the ideal/right way to handle
that time scale, and by arithmetic offset, any local time. But there is also
the matter of precision: different applications are looking for different
levels of UTC precision. The often unstated precision requirement makes a big
difference.

Where you get UTC from and how you store or display UTC are dependent on the
type of application. Applications needing 1 ns precision must use a UTC(k) with
circular-T, UTCr, or other real-time or post processing corrections applied.
Applications needing only 1 us or 100 ns precision can get UTC via cheap GPS
receivers. Applications needing 1 ms precision can use NTP. Those that need
only 2 s or worse precision can get away with ignoring leap seconds, if they
choose, because the resulting time-stamps are still well within the
specification.

/tvb