On 2015-03-04 02:12 AM, michael.deckers via LEAPSECS wrote:

   On 2015-03-03 21:05, Martin Burnicki wrote about
   negative leap seconds:

In the 7 year interval where no leap second was required/scheduled I heard
 several people saying we might have needed a negative leap second.

   Fortunately, this is not a matter of speculation. An easy way to
   see the trend of UT1 - UTC is to look at DUT1 (published in
   Bulletin D). DUT1 is an approximation to UT1 - UTC and has
   always stepped down (except, of course, at positive leap seconds),
   ever since the earliest Bulletin D available on the web (1991-06-20).

   Before a negative leap seconds would be scheduled, we would see
   DUT1 stepping up several times in a row, so there _is_ some
   advance warning.

We can't predict the future. It's fascinating to read about the many factors affecting Earth's rotation. It seems the largest one is the one we know least about - the Earth's core. I wonder what DUT1 would have looked like around the time of the Chicxulub impactor.

Negative Leap Seconds have been a feature of the specification since the beginning. It gives a little more margin to accommodate the unknown, and it's not an onerous complication. I hope we concentrate on helping get implementations to conform to the UTC specs as they stand rather than look for justifications to over simplify the problem.

-Brooks

Michael Deckers.