On 2017-01-28 17:33, Steve Allen wrote:
BBC radio Crowd Science took a listener question about
What is the Real Time?
and produced a half hour tour that included three atomic Time Lords
Whibberley, Matsakis, and Arias.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04q778b
and concluded pretty much saying that we have a choice.

   Thanks for that link!

   I find it remarkable that Arias in effect stated
   that the discontinuities of the difference TAI - UTC
   happen at the beginning of leap seconds, so that
   positive leap seconds are labeled as the second
   59th seconds of a minute. Neither the ITU definition
   of UTC nor the IERS bulletins about leap seconds
   specify that detail, unfortunately.

   She is also stated to call leap seconds a
   "dangerous thing" -- as soon as this is
   substantiated (such as by a loss of health
   connected with a computer misinterpretation
   of leap seconds) it will be a powerful argument
   for their abolition.

   Michael Deckers.