Tom Van Baak scripsit:

> Another observation is that our local newspaper always
> prints Sun and Moon rise and set times. But not time
> of noon. Why is this? Maybe it's just our paper (noon
> implies sun and we don't see much of it here in Seattle).

Some people need to know sunset for religious reasons, and perhaps
sunrise is occasionally useful too; I have been checking sunset times
lately to figure out when to tell my daughter to be at home by.
Solar noon just doesn't have the same importance.

> Sure, but it seems to me - regardless of the timezone,
> regardless of daylight saving time, regardless of the
> season, regardless of latitude, to the general public
> 12:00 means lunchtime (or their VCR got unplugged).
> The sun doesn't have much say about it.

Amen.

--
Is a chair finely made tragic or comic? Is the          John Cowan
portrait of Mona Lisa good if I desire to see           [EMAIL PROTECTED]