On Thu, 19 May 2016, Gabriel F.C. Mazzocato wrote:

actually, make menuconfig and altering the .config file is the way. This
should pull in all the appropriate dependencies. If you edit the .config
files manually, you need to check that all the dependencies are good
yourself.

The process I followed was wget the package and put it in the
package/iptables path. There I altered the makefile to change the
version, hash and source.
I have to get rid of all the patches, perhaps because they are already
there (some appears not to). Then I confirm the changes in the
makemenu config and call make package/iptables/compile. It breaks with
an error about extensions, even using -J1 V=s (I'll get more details
on that). And the actual modules, I couldn't cross compile them from
source, since I got lost with autoreconf and KConfig. I'm kinda new to
this. Learning on the go.

Is this something that's not already packaged for LEDE/OpenWRT?

It's far more complex to add something new than to just select different options that are already configured.

using an external drive is a last resort for when you can't fit everything
into the flash in your device (or you are using an external device that is
faster than the flash)

I thought about that yesterday. I'm using a 8Gb flash drive. But even
with an SSD it would be cut because of the 2.0 interface. I have and
TL-WDR4300.
What is the maximim size of image for a sysupgrade? About 6~7Mb ? My
router has 8Mb.

that depends on the bootloader. but for a firmware version that's that close to the total flash size you may need to use a different install method.

I commonly use the wndr3800 with 16M flash and my images have been up to 15M, but I always flash them via tftp at boot time, not from within a running system.

David Lang