Citeren p.wa...@gmx.at:

Hi Hauke,

When the kernel gets uncompressed and is bigger than
BZ_TEXT_START - LOADADDR it overwrote the loader which was currently uncompressing
it and made the board crash.

Currently, BZ_TEXT_START - LOADADDR = 0x80400000 - 0x80001000 = 3FF000 = 4190208 bytes Today's trunk brcm47xx kernel is 4069124 bytes. So increasing the address is actually
just a preventive countermeasure for future kernels.(?)

The change from 4.4 to 4.9, will add approximately 500 kbytes to the kernel (assuming the increase will be similar as for ar71xx), so this won't fit anymore. So this preventive measure may be needed sooner than you think.

The WRT54GL CFEs seem to use a memory area about half the size of your WRT54GS' So I guess, the actual problem for the WRT54GL was that the stack was smashed?

Once my compiling machine finishes your ar71xx with kernel 4.9, I'll test this one here :-)

Happy to see, that this problem seems to be solved.

Regards,
P. Wassi