On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 02:04:38PM -0800, John Wiegley wrote:

> > What I have been doing as an experiment is to add in something additional:
>
> > 2016/01/01 Fix the thing
> >     Expenses:Thing                     $20.00
> >     Liabilities:Credit Card:Pursuit   $-20.00
> >     (Budget:Pursuit)                   $20.00
>
> Now you can just do a balance query of Assets:Checking against Budget and see
> what the net result will be.  Or use --real to strip away the budget, or just
> don't query against Budget.

I'm really happy using the imperative (I forget the term) virtual accounts
(surrounded by []), it maintains the accounting equation, I can easily query
how much is really in my checking vs how much is unallocated to ther budget
things, and I can square things up periodically if I choose.

Jeff

--
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."