I would generally agree with the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" ideal,
but in Ledger's case, there is almost 2 years and 172 commits worth of
development, according to Github [0], since the release of 3.1.1. There
should be at least a plan for when that effort is going to be deemed
suitable for a new release. Otherwise it goes to waste.

[0] https://github.com/ledger/ledger/releases