> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 12:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Oliver Hardy <ohardy...@gmail.com>
>
> If someone can point me to where in the man pages it describes how to
> create a journal I would be grateful. Also how does one create accounts,
> add entries
> etc.

Just create a text file with your favourite text editor -- Emacs,
Notepad, Sublime, whatever (make sure it's not a word processor or
rich text or anything) -- and start writing transactions saying how
much money moved into or out of accounts.  For example, you can copy &
paste the following into a file called `ledger.dat':

2020-01-01 Opening Balances
    Assets:Bank                   100.00 EUR
    Assets:Cash                    40.00 EUR
    Assets:Reimbursements:Friend   32.00 EUR
    Equity:Opening Balances

2020-01-03 Dinner
    Expenses:Food                  27.00 EUR
    Assets:Cash

Then run `ledger -f ledger.dat balance', and it will show you how much
is in each account after all the transactions.  To add entries, simply
add to the end of the ledger.dat text file.

There's no need to take a separate step to create accounts -- ledger
will just take the account names you say in the transactions (but you
can declare them up front with, e.g., `account Assets:Bank', and then
use the `--pedantic' or `--strict' options to check for typos).