Following the ledger-mode docs, in emacs I do C-c C-a.  This brings up a
calendar with today's date highlighted. I'm then instructed
to type a close match to the payee. Hitting enter then enters the date in
my ~/journal.ledger file and that's it. No further details even
though the payee I'm entering appears several times through out the file.

What am I doing Wrong?

Thank you.