I think I've fixed it. It wasn't a mis-spelling but close.
At the beginning of my ledger file I had:
Opening Balances
Liabilities:CreditCard  $1470.76

I changed that to:
Liabilities:CreditCard  $-1470.76

and the credit card balance now seems to be correct.

My thanks to all who replied trying to help and my apologies for taking up
the group's time with what
turned out to be a beginner error.