On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:34 AM Eric S Fraga <e.fr...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thursday, 19 Nov 2020 at 09:49, o1bigtenor wrote:
> > The 'TL;DR' brought a smile to my face.
>
> ;-)
>
> > This kind of function just isn't in text editors
>
> Well, this isn't quite true.  Emacs will create backup files when you
> edit one and you can ask Emacs to create new backups every time you save
> the file.  These backup files will be numbered and you can specify how
> many such backups to keep.  But using Emacs may not be what you would
> like to do...

When I first started using linux vi was recommended.
'm sorta comfortable with it but need a cheat sheet - - - a LOT!

Tried emacs - - - - my mentor suggested not to but it was his go
to - - - - boy was I out in the weeds and it seemed everything I tried
made it more difficult.
Today I use geany as an editor - - - its not for a purist but its handy
and I love the search function.  (just have not been able to get that working
in either of vi nor emacs which is one reason why emacs got pitched!)

So - - - I'd bet this procedure in emacs is hard coded - - -yes?

Sigh - - - - still back to looking for unobtanium I think.

Thanks!