Good afternoon,

I (think I) do understand the textbook definition of the above, but I find
myself in doubt in many cases around how I would model a certain
transaction.

On the face of it, it is very simple: if I spend $100 painting my room,
that's clearly an expense. Buying a car is clearly turning one asset
(cash/bank balance) into another one (the car itself).

But then, fitting new wheels to the car is an expense, but then it is also
making the car worth more, so at the same time there's an appreciation
involved. (Or is the set of wheels another asset, that happens to be fitted
to the car "temporarily").

Also, let's think buying furniture: it's an asset, as I either use it
long-term or perhaps sell it, when I move, and need different ones for the
new house. But it can be also seen as an expense relating to me living in
my current accommodation. (Similar to utilities.)

First I thought, the deciding factor might be, whether I can (or whether I
expect) the thing to be re-sold.  But as the above examples show, it's not
always as clear cut in advance. I might sell it, I might keep on using it,
or might sell it as part of another asset (the flat or the car).

So, I'd be really curious, how others see this, and how they keep their
books manageable.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Daniel