I don't know how Mac OSX brew Install works, but in linux a rudimentary
step-by-step could be:

- In a terminal, after clone the ledger repository make the
*/path/to*/ledger/contrib/report
script executable running:
 $ chmod +x */path/to*/ledger/contrib/report

- In a terminal export the path to your session running:
 $ export PATH=$PATH:*/path/to/*contrib

    to be persistent edit  .bashrc file adding a line like this (change
directories according to your system)

    export PATH="$HOME/Builds/ledger/contrib:$PATH"

Having gnuplot installed, the comments in the report script show two
examples of use:
$  report -j -M reg food            # plot monthly food costs
$  report -J reg checking           # plot checking account balance