On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 11:50:31AM -0700, oliver wrote:
> I am embarrrassed to have to ask for help with this.  Unfortunately, my
> math skill are non-existant.
>
> I start with savings account equty of $1,348.50. After several months of
> transactions, ledger balance gives me minus (-) $235.46. According to my
> bank the balance is $1,828.79.
Without seeing more of your ledger, I think you have sign errors rather than
value errors: e.g. debits that should have been credits.

> What adjustment to I have to enter in order for ledger balance to match
> bank balance and how does one figure that out?
Not a direct answer, but a trick I use from Gentoo Foundation's
accounting: Balance Assertions.

Our bank statements give us the opening and closing balances for each
statement, and I enter those as an assertion of the balance.

If I have an error somewhere before that, such as a missing transaction,
or a typo; the assertion flags that something is wrong.

If your bank statements provide a known balance after each transaction,
you can enter that:

2009/04/30 * Interest Earned: AccountName
    Assets:Bank:AccountName       $ 16.14 = $ 19,016.25
    Income:Interest:AccountName

If your bank statements provide an opening or closing balance to the statement,
you can use that:

2023/06/30 * Balance Assertion: AccountName
    Assets:Bank:AccountName       $  0.00 = $ 52,289.96

Errors will show up like this (I deliberately introduced an error of one cent
for the example).

====
While parsing file "REDACTED.ledger", line 36:
While parsing posting:
  Assets:Bank:AccountName         $  0.00 = $ 52,289.97
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^
Error: Balance assertion off by $0.01 (expected to see $52,289.96)
====

Caveats:
Sometimes such bank statements contain sequences that are only correct with
eventual consistency. Paypal's CSV export is esp. bad if you have events
close-in-time: Events T1, T2.1, T2.2, T3: correct at T1, correct at T2, but
both T2.1 & T2.2 use the balance after T1.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation President & Treasurer