Went to the Leicester game and typed out a long rant afterwards but lost it
when my iphone battery conked out. No surprise there.

The jist of it was that neither the defence or attack had any sort of chance
when we had such a gaping hole in the middle. I was more involved than Faye
who's legs have gone, and Howson was hiding hoping not to be noticed. Nobody
wanted the ball until Killkenny came on but it was too little too late then.

Listened to the game on the radio tonight and was staggered to see Grayson
play the same midfield. How could he not see what was so obvious to me and
make the same mistake again? But who the fuck am I?

It amazes me when managers continue to play players in positions where it
clearly isn't working. We had our dip in form last season when Killkenny got
injured and Grayson was forced to tinker with the midfield. He dropped Doyle
and played Howson and Johnson in the middle and they just weren't good
enough, and that was in League 1. We played our best football last season
with Doyle and Killkenny in the middle and then either Howson in the free
role of a 4-5-1 that suites him or a second striker in a 4-4-2.

A lot of people didn't like Doyle but the spoiler role he played allowed
Killkenny to be the influential player he can be. They were both pretty good
at passing to a white shirt, funny that, who would have thought players that
actually want the ball and don't give it away would help you be successful?

I thought Faye would be a top notch replacement for Doyle until I saw him
play. He's passed it and should be nowhere near the first team. Killkenny
should be the first name on the team sheet, why the fuck is he not playing?
I don't have all the answers. Who would I play alongside Killkenny in the
center? Is Clayton good enough? I don't know, he hasn't played. Why bring
him in if he isn't good enough? When a team is playing so badly you need to
explore your options and give players a go. Don't stick with a line up that
isn't working. I think it is criminal that we went in to this season without
a credible replacement for Doyle. Why not keep Doyle on if we have nobody
better at the role he was playing? He was a free agent wasn't he?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Doyle would be the answer to all our
problems, but we need a solid spoiler of a midfielder who can also pass the
ball and nobody at the club is currently good enough for that role.

I know it's early in the season and Grayson has plenty of time to turn it
around, and I really want him to be the man, but he doesn't seem to learn
from his mistakes and that is worrying.

O.k. big gob, what would you do? I can't give a straight answer to that
because I would try a few things and see what worked. I think we are a
pushover so first things first we need to find some bollocks and that means
5 in midfield with 1 up front. I would try a  4-1-4-1 and a 4-2-3-1 that
seemed to work well for many of the teams in the world cup.

Fantasy team lineups are usually just that but here goes. You may disagree
with some of the players here but it is a working system we need to find,
not a collection of the best players.

4-1-4-1

Kasper

Connolly - 2 of Bruce/Brondby/Collins - McCartney

1 of Clayton/Hughes/Bruce

1 of Gradel/Sam/Howson/Snodgrass - Killkenny - 1 of Clayton/Howson/Watt - 1
of Clayton/Watt/Johnson/McCormack

1 of Becchio/Somma/Paynter/McCormack

4-2-3-1

Kasper

Connolly - 2 of Bruce/Brondby/Collins - McCartney

2 of Clayton/Hughes/Bruce

Snodgrass - Killkenny - 1 of Clayton/Watt/Johnson/McCormack

1 of Becchio/Somma/Paynter/McCormack

I believe Paynter is on the verge of a return so apart from him I've left
out the players that are injured.

There are loads of options there. We don't have the quality holding
midfielders so that, for me, is the first hole we need to fill, closely
followed by a center back. I would be looking at the loan market because we
can't wait until January.

If I was picking the team for the next game I would have to go with the
following.

4-2-3-1

Kasper

Connolly - Bruce - Brondby - McCartney

Clayton - Hughes

Snodgrass - Killkenny - McCormack

Somma

What I'm aiming for is to fill that bloody great big hole we have in the
middle with battlers and ball players. Players who want the ball and won't
hide. Clayton is in because I'm hoping he can do a job in there. Hughes
because I think he would be a disciplined spoiler. Watt is out because he's
injured and McCormack in instead of Johnson because with two holding
midfielders you can afford the extra flair. Gradel, Sam, Howson and Nunez
are not starters for me at the moment. Brondby can't fail to be better than
Collins and Naylor should be for dire emergencies only.

Under no circumstances should Faye, Howson and Johnson ever start together
in the middle again.

There, I feel better for getting that out of my system.

Si.