If Bates had the ambition and skill (together with Harvey and Grayson) to get
us into the Premier League, Howson would have stayed. Last year was a golden
opportunity for that, and yet the club failed. So to me it's about a lack of
ambition at the top. I "advocate" spending the money the club has. Bates has
repeatedly said the club budgets for early exits from the cups, etc. So when we
have had repeated windfalls over the past few years from both player sales and
money-spinning cup ties, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting that
to be reflected by the purchase of quality playing staff. I don't think we've
seen that. (Especially when the financial "base" for the club is so sound - the
highest attendances in the entire Football League paying the highest prices.)

Money is a huge factor in success in football. It is not the only factor -
quality of management, desire and luck are all in there too - but if Mancini
was put in charge of Rochdale a couple of years ago I doubt they'd be top of
the Premier League right now. (Equally, if I were put in charge of Man City,
they'd probably be relegated, admittedly.) Even teams that clearly owe their
success primarily to their manager have to spend. (For instance, it was a
magnificent achievement for Clough to take an unglamorous side like Forest from
the old second division to European champions, but the winning goal in that
first European Cup final was scored by Britain's first million-pound player.)
Man U have been successful over the past 20 years partly because they had a
terrific manager, but partly because they can repeatedly back that manager's
vision with the cash to take other clubs' best players from them (e.g. Rooney).

It's not as simple as money = success, but money is a big part of it. All other
things being equal, the team that's had more money spent on it will be the one
that does better over the long run. Of course, all other things are rarely
exactly equal, which is where knowing exactly how to get the most out of that
money comes in.

Cheers!

Sean