The England Under-21 international, on loan at MK Dons since August, is hoping to be involved in the Whites' home clash with Birmingham on Tuesday night.

Leeds manager Simon Grayson told the club's official website: "Adam is a player we've been monitoring for a few months now at MK Dons. He's done very well and we're delighted we could get his services.

"We know how highly thought of he was at MK Dons and on top of the reports we've had, he's had some great recommendations from Stuart Pearce and Harry Redknapp. Adam is an England Under-21 international with a bright future and is a great addition for us."

Smith, who helped Bournemouth reach the League One play-offs while on loan there last season, has made 22 appearances for MK Dons.

Dons boss Karl Robinson said: "It's extremely disappointing to lose someone of Adam's quality, he has made a great contribution to the club this season."