To save you a job John   ..... follow me on Twitter richleed...@yahoo.co.uk

This was very
disappointing. We were thoroughly beaten by an average Watford team
that were stronger, fitter, more skilful, had more desire and in
gener more idea. I know Warnock is trying to make do with a team that
has lost its heart – Gradel, Howson being the main losses but I
worry that he thinks the solution is to try and play the long ball
down the middle to Becchio, who lets face facts is never going to do
anything playing with his back to goal.
Time after time we
hoofed it forward , with the result being either Becchio did manage
to get his head on the ball for an aimless knock on (usually to a
yellow shirt) or the other outcome which was Becchio moaning and
rolling around on the floor for a free-kick. The crowd got on to the
ref today but I thought he was spot on with most things and he had
Becchio sussed from the start. I hate to watch a Leeds player whose
game is all about trying to get free-kicks. We were never going to
get beyond the Watford back 4 with tactics like that today.
The other major factor
in the team for me at the moment is the lack of pace and sharpness.
Again I think you have to look at the front two. Becchio is like a
Sherman tank, I reckon I'd do him over 100 metres and together with
Macca up front there is no pace. Who thought it was a good idea to
play Macca and Becchio up front together ? It just doesn't work.
Other players who are short on pace include Brown and Connelly.
Becchio is only going
to be effective if the ball is put on a plate for him in the 6 yard
box. Snodgrass, Howson and Gradel used to do that for fun for him but
now with Aidy White and Snodgrass it just isn't happening. Snodgrass
isn't getting enough ball because we are choosing to play down the
middle and Aidy White, a player I like, seems fragile and not strong
enough against teams like Watford. Everyone of their players must
have been over 6 ft. We looked like a bunch of unfit pub players
running around. It was embarrassing.
In a first half totally
dominated by Watford our defence looked stretched to the limit. Bruce
isn't match fit. He put himself on the line today time after time, he
also had our best chances with his head in their box but he was a
yard short on too many occasions today. This also had the affect of
stretching Tom Lees who looked a bit out of his depth today against
the tall and lively Watford forward line.
The Watford goal came
early , Robinson failed to clear properly and from there they had a
spare man over and just passed it simply into the box, for Iwelumo
who smacked it past Lonergan. Watford continued to
look lively and we continued to lose possession, either through the
long ball to Becchio or players just giving it away – Michael Brown
being the main culprit.
Our best chance of the
game fell to Snodgrass who side footed against the keeper when it was
easier to score.
Second half and we
brought on Webber for White and immediately looked more dangerous.
Webber attacks the ball with purpose and looks to get moves going.
Unfortunately he's still surrounded by the two statues up front so
he's required to beat a couple of men to have any affect.  I didn't
think Watford were as effective second half and were happy to sit
back but that just emphasised how clueless we were going forward. We
continued with the long ball to Becchio tactic which actually got
worse because I don't think Becchio won a header in the second half.
He did however continue to moan to the ref who was having none of it.
Warnock then made his
second sub with Clayton going off for Nunez. I didn't think Clayton
had played well but surely Brown should have departed. Not only was
Brown poor throughout he looked a yard behind the pace throughout the
match. He's not good enough.
Nunez made an impact,
lively play, good passes and one decent shot which had the keeper
scrambling. He has to start the next match.
As we pushed forward
Watford got more space and finally got their second. It was coming as
previous to that Lees had completely messed up leaving the Watford
player in on goal. Lonergan made a good save and we painfully
scrambled it back to Lonergan. However a few minutes later a similar
scenario occurred where Lonergan made a good save but this time
everyone stood around and watched as Iwelumo grabbed his second. I
think we were just shagged.
There was still time
for Paul Connelly to show he hasn't got a brain by getting himself
sent off. Warnock said post match that Connelly has showed him he
didn't want to play against Reading.
Scores:
Lonergan – 5. Looks
shaky to me. One or two decent saves late on but it didn't really
matter.
Connelly – 3. Looked
stretched all afternoon and nothing going forward.
Bruce – 4. Good
commitment but isn't match fit and that showed. Get him fit I think
he'd be a decent championship defender.
Lees – 4. I hope the
clanger doesn't break his confidence. The new defensive partnership
was up against it all day today.
Robinson – 3. Looked
old and slow today. Likes someone playing out his days.Maybe he is ?
and I thought he might be the new Vinnie.
Clayton – 4. Just not
at the races. In and out of the game, chasing the ball most of the
time.
Brown – 2. Legs have
gone.
Snodgrass – 5. Should
have scored, one or two runs but generally didn't see enough of the
ball.
White – 3. Started ok
but then got a knock and had to go off at half-time.
McCormack – 2. Just
not in the game at all, he looked off the pace and ineffective. Can't
play with Becchio up front – come on Colin !!
Becchio – 2. The main
reason why we're struggling at the moment and I can't understand why
Colin seems to be pinning everything on him. He's shit in the air,
slow on the ground, no acceleration, the first touch of Carlton
Palmer and no passing ability other than a 10 yard pass backwards. We
have to look beyond this carthorse. Can't people see that ?
Subs:
Webber – 6. Lively
without troubling them.
Nunez – 7. Looked
very lively and direct.
Forsell – only on for
last few minutes as the hapless Becchio was dragged off.
Warnock said it was
drivel, he said we're going to lose at Reading so he may as well put
the kids in. I'd love it if he did. Put Becchio , Macca, Brown,
Robinson, Connelly in the reserves.