I agree, it's a tricky one.
Whilst it might seem unfair on the motorcyclists family the sentence is
actually quite onerous. He has a 2 year driving ban, 300 hours is at the very
top end of the community order and he will have a set period in which to
complete it.

The suspended sentence can be activated at any time if he commits further
offences or does not comply with the Probation Service as part of the community
service requirement.

It sounds like it was a momentary lapse of judgement that caused it as other
factors don't seem to have been brought in, ie, excess speed, and because of
this it puts it at the lower end of the offence scale. Pleading guilty at first
opportunity, being of previous good character and having a clean driving record
(a bad record hasn't been listed in the summary) could have lowered the
sentence.

Sent from my iPad