Mike, I read it differently.
The Club and the Business are separate in the eyes of the owners.
The club stands for the history, tradition and ethos that is Leeds United
football club, whereas their interests are purely in making money. Therefore
they are happy to call us the de facto owners of the Club.
Making money in football is aligned to a happy support base, so if you make
statements like this, and sack Bates, and remove all his sundry negative
business alliances with the club, reduce ticket prices etc etc you encourage
people to come back to Elland Road. This is borne out by the statistic that we
will have our biggest opening day crowd for several years, despite the lack of
(huge) investment in the transfer market.
A large regular attendance boosts the coffers (and possibly the transfer
budget) and makes us a more attractive prospect for a potential investor.
So where you might read the statement as flim flam, it is not without purpose.
I salute the fact that they recognize the fans at last - we've had years of
Bates p*ssing us off, so it's a welcome change. Ultimately it cost NOTHING to
make such statements so why not?

Ossie